Balsamic red onion, courgette and mozzarella pizza
Posted On January 23, 2020 By Kathryn
This pizza dough is one that you can just go ahead and use immediately allowing you to skip the step where you leave it to rise. Make sure your oven is on its highest setting and it will crisp up beautifully.
The combination of balsamic red onion, courgette and mozzarella is delicious and made all the better by a final garnish of olives and rocket.
Photography by Catherine Frawley
Some other recipes you might like are my Cheats Pizza with Crispy Kale, Sweet Potato and Parmesan and this recipe for Chickpea Sundal Flatbreads
300g strong white bread flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 7g sachet of dried yeast
2 tbsp olive oil
175ml warm water
2 red onions, cut into wedges
2 tbsp balsamic glaze plus extra for garnish
2 tbsp olive oil
4-5 tbsp tomato puree
3 baby courgettes or 1 medium courgette, sliced into thin rounds
2 125g balls of mozzarella, sliced
70g black olives
small handful of rocket
- Firstly roast the onoins. Preheat the oven to 190’C. Place on a baking tray and toss with the balsamic glaze and olive oil. Roast for 10 minutes, then turn the onoins over and roast for a further 10 minutes. Set aside until later.
- Increase the heat of your oven to its very highest setting. If you have a pizza stone, place it in the oven to get hot.
- Measure the flour into the bowl of a free standing electric mixer and stir through the salt. Add the yeast, and fit the dough hook. While mixing, pour in the olive oil and warm water. Kneed for about 7 minutes until smooth and pliable.
- Divide the dough into two - it will give you two large pizzas, each serving two. On a lightly floured surface, roll out until as thin as possible. Transfer to a flat baking tray generously dusted with flour. If you are using a pizza stone, make sure the pizza base has enough flour underneath to allow it to move and be transferred onto the pizza stone.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato puree over each pizza, followed by courgettes, mozzarella, olives and finally the onions. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Either bake on the tray or very carefully transfer your pizza onto your pizza stone. Bake for ten minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the pizza is golden and crispy. When ready, garnish with olives, rocket and balsamic glaze.