Winter Wild Rice Salad
Posted On January 2, 2016 By Kathryn
As far as salads go, this one is a real show stopper!
250g wild rice (I used a mix of red camargue & wild rice, bought from Waitrose)
2 large raw beetroot
2 medium eating apples, (I used Braeburn, but any will do)
200g cooked chestnuts
40g bunch of dill, plus extra to garnish
100g spinach, shredded
100g walnuts, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
4 tbsp of natural yogurt
2 tbsp of good quality mayonnaise
1 tbsp grated horseradish (fresh or from a jar)
1 tsp of Coleman's English Mustard
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper to season
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions. When ready, drain using a colander and rinse under cold water. Set aside (in the colander so that all of the water drains off.)
- While the rice is cooking prepare all of the other ingredients. Wash and peel the beetroot. Slice into thin matchsticks (julienne). You could use the grate attachment on a food processor for this either.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl. Half the apples, remove the core, and slice into half moon shapes. Add to the lemon juice and dress lightly - this will stop the apples from browning.
- Cut each chestnut into quarters, finely chop the dill and shred the spinach.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl along with all of the other ingredients and mix well.
- Mix together all of the dressing ingredients, season to taste and dress the salad. Serve garnished with sprigs of dill and some extra walnuts if you have them.