Turkish eggs with broccoli, spinach and sundried tomatoes
Posted On January 23, 2020 By Kathryn
These eggs are served with dill infused yogurt, a drizzle of aleppo chilli butter and in this case, a pickled chilli relish and a delicious salad of broccoli, spinach and sundried tomatoes.
If you cannot find aleppo pepper simply use paprika and add a touch of cayenne for extra spice.
Photography by Catherine Frawley
60g salted butter
1 tbsp aleppo pepper (can be bought online)
1/2 tsp hot paprika
1/4 tsp ground cumin
Pickled chilli relish
5 sprigs of mint, leaves picked
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
4 pickled green chillies
1 tbsp pickling juice
juice of 1 lemon
75ml olive oil
170g greek yogurt
20g dill, finely chopped
1/2 clove of garlic, finely grated
salt and pepper to taste
4 free range eggs (fresh as possible)
300g purple sprouting broccoli
50g blanched almonds, toasted and sliced
1 red chilli, finely chopped
6 sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Place the butter, aleppo pepper, paprika and cumin in small saucepan and melt over a low heat. Simmer gently for 1 minute and set aside.
- Bunch all the herbs and pickled chillies together and finely chop (this can also be done in a small hand held food processor). Place in a bowl and add the pickling juice, lemon juice and olive oil. Season to taste.
- Mix the yogurt ingredients together and set aside.
- When ready to serve, blanch the broccoli in hot water, drain and keep warm. Bring some water to the boil in a small saucepan and add a little white wine vinegar. Break an egg into a small cup or bowl. When ready, stir the water with a spoon so that the water is circulating around the saucepan. Drop the egg into the centre and poach for 4 minutes. When cooked, remove with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a bowl of iced water. This will stop them from cooking any further. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- When ready to serve, plunge the eggs into a pan of boiling hot water to heat up. Spread some of the dill yogurt onto a plate and top with some broccoli, spinach, sundried tomatoes and chopped almonds. Follow with a poached egg and garnish generously with the aleppo pepper butter and the pickled chilli relish.