Baked feta cheese with sun dried tomato and capers
Posted On January 6, 2016 By Kathryn
Serves 4 as a sharing starter served with crusty bread
1 portion of sun dried tomato, oregano and thyme paste**
1 200g block of good quality feta cheese
1-2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
1 sprigs of oregano, leaves picked and roughly chopped
2 tbsp of capers
Crusty sourdough bread to serve
- Make the sun dried tomato, oregano and thyme paste* (click here for recipe)
- Lay a large piece of baking parchment onto a flat surface and in the centre spoon 1/4 of the sun dried tomato mix onto the surface , spreading out so that it is slightly wider than the block of feta cheese.
- Place the feta on top, and spoon over half of the mixture that is left, reserving some for later, but making sure the feta cheese is very well covered. Sprinkle the herbs all over.
- Fold the baking parchment around the cheese- no need to be too precious about how you do this, just make sure you seal it well enough to encase all of the juices. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the sourdough by very roughly tearing it into chunks, and laying on a large plate or platter.
- When the cheese is ready, remove from the oven, unwrap it, and tear the parchment so that there is enough surrounding the cheese to stop all the juices escaping.
- Drizzle with the capers,Serve with the remaining sun dried tomato paste in a small dish and sit down with your chosen wine and companions, and enjoy a little bit of heaven.
The all important *stars*
*If you are short on time, you can buy sun dried tomato paste/pesto from most big supermarkets. Please do try and make your own though. It couldn’t be easier and it can be used for so much more than just what I have used it for here.
**If you do use shop bought sun dried tomato paste, you will need 100-120g